Friday, April 17, 2009

Thank God it's Friday!

I've had a pretty good week so far. Work has been fantastic; I've had great customers and the money has been great too.
Wednesday I waited on a group of folks that were from the Kentucky Mountain Laurel Festival. If you find yourself in southeastern Kentucky for Memorial Day weekend, I highly recommend going to the Mountain Laurel Festival in Pineville, Kentucky. It is being run by the nicest group of people that I've ever met. They were an absolute joy to take care, very polite and courteous, well-mannered and I think that they were truly happy to be at Keeneland that day. I made really good money from them, but that wasn't the reason that I enjoyed them so much. (Okay, not the only reason!) They were absolutely wonderful to take of, and I hope that they had as much fun spending the day with me as I did with them.
Today I had another group that I also really liked. They were with Credit Solutions, and they were a ball to have in today. They all were betting on the horses, enjoying the beautiful day and each other's company. It's having customers like these two groups that remind me of why I have always loved the restaurant business. It's good to have customers like this, especially when you wonder why the hell you're doing this for a living. Sometimes it's good to be a part of someone's special occasion, even if you're only the person delivering drinks.
I really needed this reminder this week, after last weekend. Last weekend had me questioning why in the world I would willingly do this for a living. You would think that on the 2 biggest days of the spring meet, the Maker's Mark Mile on Friday and the Bluegrass Stakes Day on Saturday, I would have had a fantastic time and made tons of money. On the contrary, I left work both days feeling angry and overworked and totally underpaid. Those two days, when our dining room was filled with big wigs and high rollers and whatnot, I made jack crap. I made more this past Wednesday, from small-town, nice, polite, regular people, than I did taking care of the hoi polloi. I went to bed last Saturday night wondering if I was even going to go back to work this week. I'm so glad that this week has gone so fantastically well. It's been a real self-esteem booster. It's confirmed my belief that I am a good server and it was the customers' fault last weekend that I didn't make any money.
Hopefully, this Saturday and Sunday will go as well as the first part of the week. The only downside is that I haven't had much time for knitting, because I'm so tired! I have several projects that are on the drawing board and as soon as I get some time to myself when I'm not exhausted, I will be casting on some KNITTING. I'm using all caps because the next project that I'm tackling is a sweater, for me. That's right; I'm making clothes. I've got the pattern, the yarn (I think I have enough), all I need is one particular circular needle (knitpicks.com here I come!), and some free time and I'm making a sweater. Yep. I'm going to do it. Just as soon as I can read the pattern and not hyperventilate.

(By the way, I sold a bottle of Dom Perignon today! Yep, I sold a $200 bottle of champagne!)

No comments:

Post a Comment