Sunday, May 10, 2009

In an effort to be more scintillating...

Not really. I mean, I could post stories about my hell-raising past, but seeing as how I don't quite remember every sequence of events, I don't think that it would be any fun for any of us! I thought that today would be a good day to thank my mom.
My mom and I haven't had the easiest of relationships. Mostly this was due to my stubborness and hard-headedness, I will admit. I wasn't the easiest person to get along with in my twenties. It is with benefit of age that I can admit this now. Hindsight being 20/20 and all. That being said, I don't know what I would do if I hadn't created a closer relationship with my mom. She is always there for me, to answer questions, to listen to me babble when I'm lonely, to encourage me in all of my endeavors. I think that I owe a lot of who I am today to her. (Apart from the obvious genetic contribution)
I was always, and will always be, a daddy's girl. Me and my dad are so much alike that you would be hard-pressed to think that anyone else could be my father. It took years for me to get that close to my mom. Now that I have, I wouldn't trade our relationship for anything.
Today, on the day that we celebrate mothers, I want to take the opportunity to thank my mom. Thank you for not giving up on me (I would have, a long time ago), thanks for always listening to me, especially when I'm rambling on, thanks for encouraging me when I thought that I would never figure out this knitting thing, and thanks most of all for being you. For teaching me how to love unconditionally, how to cherish your spouse, how to discipline and nurture at the same time, how to be the best woman that I can possibly be. I couldn't have done without you. I wouldn't have wanted to do it without you. You are the best, and if I don't tell you often enough, I love you!
Happy Mother's Day, to all the moms out there, especially the ones with headstrong daughters who don't listen. Trust me, one day, they will, and they will appreciate everything that you have taught them. It might just take some time for them to admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment