Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why I knit

So I started knitting Thanksgiving, 2006. So I am a fairly new knitter. I've read that there are 2 types of knitters, process and product. I am definitely a product knitter. I love the feeling of making something out of a ball of yarn and some pointy sticks.
I got inspired to learn how to knit over a game of Scrabble. I was playing with my sister, my brother and his wife. She was crocheting something, a blanket I think, and I thought to myself, I want to learn how to knit. My mom had a book that teaches knitting, along with some yarn and needles. Thankfully, the book had instructions for left-handed people, otherwise who knows what hobby I would have picked up!
Since then, I've made scarves, socks, hats, baby toys, washcloths, and lots of mistakes. But I've learned more than just how to knit. I've learned patience, some math, and dedication. Knitting has given me focus and the ability to see things long term. It takes some imagination to look at a ball of wool and see a lace scarf hiding in there.
It also gives me a connection to my family that I didn't anticipate. My mom has always been crafty, and she makes some of the most beautiful needlepoint. My sister-in-law knits and crochets and is great at both. My sister does gorgeous orgami. We all have this creative drive in common. It also makes me so proud to see someone that I love wearing something that I made for them. There is something to be said for seeing your loved ones being sheltered from the cold by something that came from your hands.
I'm working on my first lace piece right now. It's coming along, but right now it looks more like wet noodles than lace. Patience is a virtue, right?
So that is the beginning of my knitting story. There will be more chapters to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment