Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Job Interviews and First Dates

Going on a job interview is a lot like going on a first date. There's the elation of the phone call, setting up that first meeting. Then there are the nerves, the anxiousness, waiting for the day to arrive. What should I wear? These pants? That shirt? No, that shirt is too sleazy, maybe this shirt instead. What shoes should I pick? Don't want to be uncomfortable; I'm nervous enough already. Don't want to look too formal, but not too casual either. What about my hair? Straight, in a ponytail, should I get a haircut? (I should have gotten a haircut) Crap, why the hell is it raining? Okay, different shirt, pants and shoes. Does this outfit make me look fat? Professional? Like a skanky girl? When should I leave to get there? Don't want to be too early, that looks desperate. Definitely don't want to be late, that looks like I'm not interested. Will he like me? Will I like him? What will we talk about? I hope I don't talk too much. Did I eat anything today that's going to give me gas? Did I put on deodorant? Man, I wish I could smoke. Can't smoke beforehand, there's plenty of time for him to find out about that later. What if there isn't a later? Can't think about that now. Damn, I'm early. Okay, drive around the parking lot. Still early, screw it, I'm going in.
Now I'm here, and he's here, and he doesn't seem to mind that I'm early. So far, so good. Let's chit chat about things, about work, and jobs, and experiences. Give a little, get a little. Don't make any assumptions, but I think it's going well. Good eye contact, laughs, feels like a real connection. Okay, now he's talking about other people that he has plans to see. Don't feel rejected, this is just a first meeting. He can't offer me the moon the first time he meets me, right? Now he's saying that he will make a decision next week, and I will hear from him by the end of next week.
I hope he calls. I hope he calls and it's good news. Has he called? Damn technology has us so connected that we expect immediate results. Did he like me? Was I smart enough, funny enough, talented enough, ENOUGH enough for him to pick me? God, why did I even put myself through this? It will be okay, he will call and it will be good news.
Just like a first date, with the same pressure and nervousness and excitement and all that. Now I have to wait and see what becomes of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment